Georgie’s Diner was built in 1956 in New Rochelle, NY. It’s first stop was in Stratford, CT where it was named Duchess Diner until 1967. It was then moved to its current location in West Haven and was renamed Elm Diner. Through the decades, the diner has been a meeting place in the community and a little piece of West Haven history as it stood aside the proud Armstrong Factory. George Anthis was one of its many operators, but more importantly, he is the man who has commissioned its restoration and so the diner has come to bear his name.
George and his family operated the diner 7 days a week, 24 hours a day from 1971 to 1988. The diner was more than just a place of work. It was a second home, a place where his two children grew up, a place where he made lifelong friends, and a place where he and his wife created roots in the United States.
Recently, the diner had fallen into disrepair. Any longer and the place would not have been salvageable. During the summer of 2009, the building was completely restored and its doors were reopened on September 24. Thankfully, a piece of the past is available for the people of today. We cannot turn back the clock to those years when the simple things in life mattered most, but you can visit with us. Let’s remember a time when friends and neighbors felt like family, service with a smile was genuine, and food was simple, fresh, delicious, and affordable.